The software business is changing
Affordable global communications turned software from a rare substance into an essential commodity. The challenge is now: how to do business in this new world?
Forward-looking firms build services on top of commodity software. But some firms want software to remain costly. They see commoditisation as an attack on their business model.
How to break free the IT market ?
By developing healthy practices and appropriate rules :
- fair to the public : they must be made by elected lawmakers of democratic European Union ;
- fair to innovators : they must allow patents only where needed to spur innovation ;
- fair to all industries : they must adapt to the fast-growing diversity of technology and business ;
- fair to a free market : they must ensure that free competion basic principles are respected ;
- fair to small businesses : they must provide affordable, fast, narrow and predictable rights ;
- fair to open research : they must protect the independent creation of original works.
Esoma exists to make a difference
The European Software Market Association (Esoma) is the voice of independent IT firms, professionals and consumers.
Founded in January 2007 by the FFII, a non-profit organisation dedicated to the removal of barriers to competition in IT and largely responsible for the rejection of the EU software patent directive in July 2005, Esoma promotes healthy practices on the software market through three main activities :
- conducting research on issues that affect the software industry ;
- preparing policies, together with its members and other organisations, to address these issues ;
- communicating and guiding decision makers to implement its proposals.
Esoma brings together activists, donors, and businesses to achieve change at the European and national levels.
A not-for-profit organisation, Esoma is funded from membership fees, donations, and services.
Support us, we will support you
By becoming member of Esoma, you get access vital information on what is going on and how to react, and we represent you at the EU political level.
Contact us to discover how we can help your business to achieve its public policy goals.